World Pulse

join-banner-text

UN Humanitarian Office Pushes for 'Unimpeded' Aid Access in Sudan





Tom Fletcher, the UN's top relief official, held "useful" and "difficult" discussions with the two sides vying for control of Sudan this week, advocating for aid access to those in desperate need, he told reporters in New York on Monday.


In recent days, the emergency relief coordinator has traveled to various parts of the war-torn country, meeting with leaders, frontline workers, and survivors of the crisis.


"We need more UN personnel on the ground," Mr. Fletcher said. "The UN is not a ship built to stay in port, and this visit is part of that larger effort to ensure we are positioned closer to those we serve."


Negotiations Progress


Mr. Fletcher said he had a "useful" meeting with General Burhan, commander of the Sudanese armed forces, which focused on ensuring "unimpeded" and "unimpeded" humanitarian access.


He also met with representatives of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) militia in a "heated" discussion, where he made it "unequivocally clear" that the UN would expect the protection of civilians and would insist on accountability and safe passage for them and aid convoys.


"I think we have a fairly strong agreement with the [military government] authorities in Port Sudan and the RSF to provide full access and safe passage for our convoys to enter and for civilians to leave," Mr. Fletcher said. "Now, let's see what happens next."


"A crime scene" in El Fasher


Mr. Fletcher added that the UN had made progress in deploying teams to El Fasher, in Darfur, in accordance with the organization's conditions.


"We will not be exploited," he emphasized. "This is a potential crime scene, and we have to make sure that the right people are there, and that the aid is truly neutral and impartial."


The RSF seized El Fasher last month after a siege of more than 500 days, displacing some 90,000 people since the end of October.


When asked about the death toll in El Fasher, Mr. Fletcher said there was no reliable answer yet.


He said there were hundreds of thousands of people in Tawila, but "it's clear that many are not leaving El Fasher."


"One of the things we want to do when we go is to find out why and what conditions they are being held in."


      • Africa
      Like this story?
      Join World Pulse now to read more inspiring stories and connect with women speaking out across the globe!
      Leave a supportive comment to encourage this author
      Tell your own story
      Explore more stories on topics you care about